Thursday, November 30, 2017

Ironman Arizona 2017

Race Date: November 19, 2017

I decided to do another Ironman just to give myself motivation to exercise and to try to keep some weight off my body. Mission accomplished. I didn't train as hard and finished two hours slower than last time. Oh well. I was hoping to do a little better but when I realized that my time was not close to previous performances I decided to slow way down on the run and just finish without killing myself. I walked every aide station (each mile). I also walked miles 14, 15, first half of 16, all uphills and downhills, and much of mile 25. I probably walked 6+ miles. I still was uncomfortable during the run. I wondered where the springs in my legs went, the springs that I had as a younger man. I would have walked more miles but I was worried about making Pam wait at the finish line. The next day Pam and I walked through the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden; I couldn't have done that if I hadn't walked some of those miles in the Ironman. So I was prudent. Ahem. And like always, Pam was very supportive and texted all the kids that I was finished and still alive. She seemed very amenable when I said I didn't ever want to do another Ironman.

I think now I'm done with Ironman. Really done this time. I don't think it will help my longevity and I think I should find something else to motivate me. Ideally I should diet more and exercise less. We'll see what happens next.

No comments: